Friday, October 17

Birth...

I have been meaning to write this for a while (almost 6 months...) and I finally decided that I just needed to go out and say it and not worry that it was written perfectly.

With my first child I had everything figured out. I had a OBGYN that allowed birthing balls, soaking in bathtubs, showers, you name it while in labor and giving birth. Then we moved in my 7th month... and NO OBGYN would take me (I was considered a risk being so far along...) except 1. He was a little old fashioned. Though, he very pro- vaginal birth (I really wanted to have a vaginal birth), he wanted me in bed laboring and wouldn't allow any of those other things I wanted to try.

Gave birth to a lovely baby girl, but really didn't have the birth experience I wanted.

So when I found I was with child a second time, I knew I was going to go the most natural way I could. I really wanted to do a home birth, but because hubby was in medical school I couldn't (If something went wrong, he would be blamed by the school even though it was my choice...). Next best, birthing center with a mid-wife. As luck would have it, there was a water birth center in town.

I have to say the difference in births was like night and day! If the pain in the hospital birth was a 10 out of 10 then the pain in the water birth was a 2 or 3 out of 10. REALLY!

I would recommend a water birth to any woman (of course you need to be low risk for you to get one). In fact, I want a water birth for every pregnancy from here on.

2 comments:

RickH said...

I think you wrote it perfectly! Mom

Daisymomto4 said...

Waterbirth is the best! :) I had my first and 2nd dd in the hospital w/an epidural (which didn't work either time) and they wouldn't let me leave the bed... it was awful. With my 3rd though I found a wonderful doula and midwife and had a home waterbirth. The difference was like night and day. :)

Kim