Sunday, October 25

The good and bad of military houseing

Ok, well we are settled in now (only took what, 2 months in the house!) and over all it is great. I love my neighbors, there are lots of kids the same ages as my kids, there is a play ground with in sight of my house, the house is HUGE compared to our last place, and I have a fenced yard.

Of course there are some mild annoyances, but that isn't the housings fault. Seems here in Hawaii someone brought this one type of snail called the Great East African Snail as a pet and released it here. The thing is impossible to kill with poisons and eat ANYTHING you try to plant! Added bonus, they carry HORRIBLE DEADLY illness even in their slime trails... well if infected with the illness they do, but really do you want to check? Who ever it was that wanted to save their "pet" by releasing it... well I have some choice words for you... So far I have resorted to just taking a hammer out at night and crushing all of them I find every night. Tonight I killed a total of 350 (well I stopped counting at 350... there were more...) of them in back yard while I was out for 10 minutes... Oh and did I mention there is NOTHING on island that eats or hunts these things?

Anyway, if anyone has a sure fire way to kill them.. please tell me... please...

2 comments:

km said...

I looked the snails up to see if there was an easy solution. We were able to buy some brown snails for our yard a few years back. They eat the other snails that were destroying our garden. 4 years later we still don't have a problem. I did see this though...

Food baits (e.g. over-ripe papaya fruit pieces). However, these baits should be daily removed from orchards and destroyed.

I'd totally try leaving out 'bait' and then tossing those instead of hand picking all over the yard. Good luck.

MamaMay said...

Thanks. I am going to try the beer thing next but it that doesn't work then I have recycling container that will be collecting these things (and drowning them...). They don't want to intoduce something else that might eat another endangered snail population here, I already looked into something that will "hunt" them, but Hawaii needs to try to keep native animals alive.